Rajasthani Dal Bati Churma Recipe/How to make Dal Bati Churma with step by step process, important tips and precise video – Today I am going to share a very tasty and delicious Rajasthani Dal Bati Churma Recipe/How to make Dal Bati Churma Recipe.
‘Hing, Zeera aur Lehsun ke tadke wali daal, khasta baati aur desi ghee ka churma’ who won’t love to have it!! Rajasthani special dal bati churma recipe don’t need any introduction and it can make any normal day a special one. Today I am going to show you the traditional method of making very tasty and easy dal bati churma recipe at home.
You may also like: Homemade Garam Masala Powder, kachri ki sabzi, Lehsun kachri ki chutney, oliya, instant kamrakh ka achar, Sarson ka Saag, Kathal Ki Sabzi, instant keri gonde ka achaar, bhindi do pyaza, paneer mix veg recipe.
Share and spread My Flavours tasty and easy to cook homemade recipes with your friends!! Do not forget to SUBSCRIBE myflavours to watch all the recipes first….
Let’s quickly see how to make Rajasthani Dal Bati Churma Recipe at home……
(Serves 6-8 persons)
- Moong daal (with skin) – 1 cup
- Chana daal – 2-3 tbsp
- Urad daal (with skin) – 2 tbsp
- Onions (chopped) – 2 medium size
- Green chilies (chopped) – 2-3
- Tomatoes (chopped) – 1-2
- Garlic (crushed) – 1.5 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp + 1/3 cup
- Asafetida (Hing) – ¼ tsp
- Cumin seeds (Zeera) – 1 tsp
- Homemade garam masala powder – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Chili powder – 1.5 tsp
- Coriander powder – ½ tsp
- Chopped coriander – 2-3 tbsp
- Salt – as per taste
For Bati & Churma:
(Makes 10-12 baties & 8-10 churma laddoos)
- Whole-wheat flour – 5 cups
- Semolina (suji) – ½ cup
- Chick pea flour (besan) – ½ cup
- Oil/ ghee (for moian) – 10 tbsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (zeera) – ¼ tsp
- Coriander seeds (sabut dhania) – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – a pinch
- Carom seeds (ajwain) – a pinch
- Ghee – for baties
(Makes 8-10 churma laddoos)
- Ghee – 4 tbsp
- Sugar powder – ½ cup
- Raisins – 2 spoon
- Chopped almonds – 2-3 tbsp
- Coconut powder – 1 – 2 tsp
- Cardamom powder – ¼ tsp
- Green chilies
- Lemon wedges
For making Dal:
- Wash and soak dals in clean water for at least 10-15 minutes.
- Take a pressure cooker add 4 cups of water and let it come to a boil.
- Discard water from dal and add it in the boiling water.
- Add ½ tsp salt, ½ tsp turmeric powder, ¼ tsp chili powder and 1 tbsp oil.
- Cover the cooker and cook dal until done.
- Open the cooker once the pressure releases and mesh dal a little.
- Heat 1/3 cup oil/ ghee in a pan, reduce the heat and add cumin and asafetida.
- Once the cumin crackles, add onions and chopped green chilies. Let the onions turn red.
- Add crushed garlic, mix and cook till onions turn brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes, homemade garam masala powder, red chili powder and coriander powder. Mix and cook until tomatoes turn soft and oil separates.
- Immediately pour the hot baghar/tadka into the dal and mix well.
- Adjust the consistency of dal by adding required amount of boiling water.
- Garnish with chopped coriander.
- In a big mixing bowl add whole wheat flour, suji, besan and baking soda. Mix well.
- Add 10 tbsp of oil / melted ghee into the flour and mix by rubbing the flour between your palms.
- Take 1 full cup of this flour mix in a separate bowl for churma and the remaining flour mix will be used for making baties.
- Mix coriander seeds, cumin seeds, ajwain and saunf. Now crush them lightly by using a rolling pin or mortal.
- Add these crushed spices into the remaining flour mix.
- Add 1 tsp salt and mix.
- Knead a semi soft dough by adding little water at a time. I have used about 1.5 cup of water to knead this much of dough.
- Cover the dough with a wet kitchen cloth and let it rest for few minutes.
- After few minutes knead the dough once again for few more minutes.
- Grease the palms with oil and take the desired portion of dough shape each portion into round baties. Lightly press the baties and make a small indentation in the center of the baties using your thumb or finger.
- Preheat the bati tandoor at medium heat for minimum of 5-10 minutes.
- Place the baties into the preheated bati tandoor, keeping little space in between each bati.
- Cover the tandoor and cook the baties between medium to low heat until done.
- Check and turn the baties in between for even cooking.
- Take the cooked baties out of the oven, crack them a little by pressing them gently.
- Dip and coat the cracked hot bati into melted ghee. Take it out and repeat same with all the baties. This will keep the baties soft and moist from inside.
- You can keep these baties into casserole to keep them hot.
- Knead the flour mix (which we separated from the bati flour) into a semi soft dough by adding little water at a time.
- I used less than ½ cup of water for this much of dough.
- Cover the dough with wet cloth and let it rest for few minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal portions and shape them into round baties and bake them into the preheated bati tandoor the same way we baked baties.
- Take the baked baties out of the oven and let them come to room temperature.
- No need to dip churma baties into ghee as we will roast the churma in ghee.
- Break the baties into small pieces and grind them into fine powder using an electric mixer.
- Heat 4 tbsp ghee in a pan and add bati powder into it.
- Cook the bati powder at low heat for 2 minutes while stirring continuously.
- Once the bati powder turns hot you can smell the aroma, turn off the heat and immediately, add powdered sugar, coconut powder, raisins, chopped nuts and cardamom powder into it.
- Mix everything very well.
- Churma is ready. It can be served in this form and you can also make laddoos of it.
- For making churma laddoos you have to shape the churma into round balls of desired size when the churma is still hot. Once the churma turns cold you won’t be able to shape them into laddoos.
- Store the prepared churma/ churma laddoos into air tight box.
- Break the hot bati into pieces, pour some melted ghee over it and pour the desired amount of hot dal over it.
- Serve it with churma/ churma laddoo, lemon wedge, green chili and onions.