Panjeeri is a delicious North Indian dessert. It is basically a Pakistani and North Indian seasonal staple from Punjab region. Here it is treated as a Nutritional suppliment . Panjeeri is a very healthy dessert made from whole wheat flour and edible gum, which are roasted in ghee and further mixed with sugar and heavily laced with dry fruits of your choice. Panjeeri is usually eaten in winter season to ward off cold .
Panjeeri is also known as confinement recipe which is given to new mothers after delivery as an aid to lactation …This is the reason it is also known as after delivery recipe or confinement recipe for new mothers. You can even add kamarkas and saunth into it if making for a new mother .
- Whole Wheat Flour – 250 gms
- Desi Ghee – 450 – 500 gms
- Powder Sugar – 550 gms
- MIXED NUTS: Total 150 gms
- Almonds (Badam) – 50 gms / 1/2 cup
- Pistachio (Pista) – 50 gms / 1/3 cup
- Cashew (Kaju) – 50 gms / 1/3 cup
- Coconut Powder – 100 gms (optional)
- Crushed Pepper (Kali Mirch) – 1 tsp
- Lotus Seeds (Phool Makhana ) – 30 gms
- Edible Gum (Gond) – 140 gms
- Powder or coarsely ground coconut and all the nuts ( almonds, pistachio and cashew) separately and keep aside.
- Take a heavy bottom kadhai , add 1 tbsp ghee. Once it melts, add makhana into it and fry steering continuously until few brown spots appear on it. Keep the flame medium to low.
- Take the fried makhana in a plate and crush it using a rolling pin or back of a bowl. Transfer it into a mixer jar and grind coarsely / fine powder. Keep it aside.
- Now add half of the ghee into the khadai and let it melt. Once it melts, add 1/3 of the edible gum/ gond in it and steer continuously till all the gum puff fully just like popcorn. Keep the flame low to medium. Take the puffed gond in a separate plate.
- Repeat the same process in 2 batches with the remaining gond.
- My edible gum is very fine , but if you are using big size of the same, then you have to crush the puffed gond with the rolling pin just like we did with makhana in the step no. 3 above . Take the unpuffed gond ( if any )out and discard it .
- Now add the remaining ghee into the kadhai and once it melts, add whole wheat flour in it and roast till it gets dark brown in color. Keep steering continuously and keep the flame low to medium.
- Add all the nuts, makhana, coconut powder , pepper powder and give a mix.
- Add edible gum and mix again.
- Now add sugar and mix until gets well incorporated . There should not be any lumps in the mixture. Break lumps if you find any .
- Panjeeri is ready .
- Sugar can be adjusted according to taste.
- You can also add cardamom powder in it if you like.
- You can leave or reduce the quantity of coconut in the recipe.
- Ratio of dried nuts can be changed according to personal taste, but keep take care that the overall weight should always be 150 gms or lesser then it.