Orange Shrikhand / Orange Yogurt Recipe with step by step description and precise video: Orange shrikhand / Orange Yogurt Recipe is a very refreshing alternative in this hot summer. There are many flavored yogurts available in markets and God knows how many artificial flavors and preservatives it has. So, here is a recipe which has no artificial flavors in it and is made of fresh orange juice and homemade hung curd. Fresh squeezed orange juice and zest adds an amazingly refreshing flavor to the plain yogurt. Orange Shrikhand / Orange yogurt Recipe is such a deliciously creamy and healthy yogurt recipe that it can be a great dessert for kids. I have prepared this yogurt recipe with orange sauce which can be easily prepared at home within 5 minutes using freshly squeezed orange juice. I have tried the same recipe using hung curd and fresh orange juice, but I was not satisfied with the texture and flavor as the outcome was not as per my expectations, because on adding liquid orange juice its consistency got very thin. The flavor and aroma of orange was not as good as I was expecting. So I again tried the same recipe but this time with some different steps. This time to make the recipe more flavourful and creamy, I prepared orange sauce and added fresh orange zest in it to enhance its flavours. And you won’t believe, it came out with such a creamy texture and aromatic flavor of orange that everyone asked for more. Even my 7 year old princess loved it and asked that, “mom, when are you going to make it again?” To make it healthier you can replace honey with sugar. Orange yogurt can be served as dessert or you can have it after meals. Sweetness can be adjusted according to taste and the sweetness of the oranges.
I am very fond of yogurt and flavored yogurts are one of my favorites. It is so easy to make these flavorful desserts with just a couple of simple ingredients, which are easily available in every kitchen. You don’t require any special equipment to make it. Once prepared these flavourful desserts can be frozen and enjoyed as creamy frozen yogurt.
In India flavored yogurt, prepared with hung curd is known as Shrikhand. And shrikhand or flavored yogurt are a healthy and great alternate for desserts. You can freeze these flavored yogurts and enjoy them as frozen yogurts, in place of ice creams.
So, lets quickly see how to prepare Orange yogurt / Orange shrikhand Recipe…..
Hung curd -1 cup
Fresh orange juice- 1 cup
Orange zest – 1 tbsp
Corn flour – 1 tbsp
Sugar – ¼ cup
- For the orange zest – take a washed and spotless orange and grate it on a grater into your desired thickness.
- While grating take care that we just have to grate orange part leaving the white pith underneath. Keep it aside.
- In a sauce pan mix corn flour and ½ cup of fresh orange juice, no lumps should remain.
- Once corn flour is completely mixed add another ½ cup of fresh orange juice.
- Now place the sauce pan over the heat.
- Add 1/3 cup sugar powder in the juice mixture and cook at medium to low heat while stirring continuously.
- I have saved little sugar, as sweetness of oranges varies, and it can be added while mixing it with hung curd.
- Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes more or until the sauce thickens.
- Turn off the heat and let the mixture cool completely.
- Stir it occasionally while it is cooling.
- Once the sauce is completely cool, mix it with the hung curd.
- Taste the sugar at this stage. You can add more if you feel.
- Cover the yogurt mixture and let it chill completely in the refrigerator for few hours before serving.
- Take the seeds out of the juice.
- Always take fresh orange juice.
- Mix corn flour in half of the juice first and then add another half into it.
- Always cook on low to medium heat and stir continuously while cooking the juice.
- Sugar can be added and adjusted according to taste.
- Always serve it chill.