Kathal ki Sabzi Recipe with step by step description, important tips and precise video: Today I am going to share a very simple yet delicately rich dish of Kathal ki Sabzi recipe. This is a prepared using all the ingredients which are easily available in every kitchen pantry.
Do try this recipe and SUBSCRIBE to my youtube channel.
You may also like : Chicken Korma recipe
- Kathal – ½ kg – 500 gms
- Oil – 3/4 cup
- Onions – 1 ½ large
- Green chili – 2
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Garlic – 5-6 large cloves
- Thick curd – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chili powder – 1 1/2 – 2 tbsp
- Coriander powder – 1 tbsp
- Cloves – 5-6 nos.
- Black pepper – 5-6 nos.
- Bay leaves – 1 big or 2 small
- Cinnamon stick – ½ inch piece
- Green cardamom – 2-3 pieces
- Meethi seeds – 1 pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Cut the kathal into 1 inch pieces and apply juice of half lemon on it.
- Wash and let kathal pieces dry for few minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan at medium flame.
- Fry few pieces at a time at medium to low flame.
- Do not flip them frequently otherwise they will break. Just flip them for few times and cook until all the pieces get cooked.
- Pierce a knife in a piece to check.
- Take out fried kathal pieces in a plate and fry all the pieces in total 2-3 batches until soft and cooked.
- Make paste of onion, ginger, garlic and green chilies and keep aside.
- Try to grind it without water, but if required you can add little water during grinding.
- In a separate bowl mix all the dry spices and salt into curd and mix well. Keep it aside.
- For cooking the sabzi heat the oil in which we fried kathal.
- Add cloves, peppers, cardamoms, cinnamon, bay leaves and fenugreek seeds.
- Cook them for 5-6 seconds and quickly add onion paste into it otherwise the whole spices will get burn and will taste bitter.
- Cook the paste half covered for 2 minutes stirring occasionally. Keep the lid such that it has a little opening.
- After few minutes add curd mixture and cook covered until oil separates. Keep the flame accordingly.
- When all the moisture is about to dry cover the pan and cook at low flame until oil separates.
- Add fried kathal pieces and 1 1/2 cup of water and let the gravy comes to a boil.
- When the gravy comes to a boil and cook it for few more minutes or until kathal are fully done. Cook covered and at low heat.
- Turn off the heat and let the sabzi rest for few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot with chapatti and rice.
- Avoid whitish and yellow colour kathal. As white one are raw and will get take too long to cook and will harden on cooking. On the other hand yellow is too much ripe and tastes sweet. It will cook too fast. So for the sabzi choose a creamy colour kathal.
- Always fry at medium to low flame until pieces are soft and cooked.
- Do not fry for too long it will harden the kathal and will not tastes good.
- If anytime kathal pieces get harder than you can pressure cook the sabzi after frying.
- Use semi sour, thick curd for the sabzi.
- This is a rich curry which calls good quantity of oil and spices.