While buying kamrakh/ star fruit, choose uniform, large , clean and yellow-orange fruits and avoid those with spots, cuts and bruise. Always avoid green star fruit and those which are small in size, as they tend to be extremely acidic and unappetizing.
Now you must be wondering what is star fruit ? Star fruit is a seasonal winter fruit which when sliced, resemble the shape of a star. There are many interesting facts about star fruit. Star fruit / kamrakh is one of the lowest calorie exotic fruits.
There are many health benefits of star fruit. It contains good quantity of essential nutrients and antioxidants required for well being.
Star fruit / kamrakh contains good quantities of vitamin C and is a very good source of vitamin B-complex. Star fruit juice is often recommended in many Brazilian folk medicines.
- Kamrakh / Star fruit/ Carambola – 250 gms
- Green chilies – 50 gms
- Achar masala (store bought) – ¼ cup
- Mustard oil – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds (zeera) – ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds (rai) – ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (methi daana) – ¼ tsp
- Nigella seeds (kalonji) – ¼ tsp
- Fennel seeds (saunf) – ½ tsp
- Asafetida (hing) – ¼ – ½ tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Wash and dry kamrakh / star fruits. Cut into 1 cms thickness stars. Keep aside.
- Wash and dry green chilies. Cut into 1 cm pieces. Keep aside.
- Mix all the dry spices except salt in a bowl. (Cumin, mustard seeds, fennel seeds, fenugreek seeds , nigella seeds and asafetida )
- Heat oil till it smokes and reduce the flame and let it cool a bit.
- Add the spice mix, let it splatter.
- Add green chilies, mix and cook it covered for 2-3 minutes.
- Open the lid and add kamrakh and achar masala.
- Mix it, cover it and let it cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Take the lid off, give a mix, adjust salt and red chili powder as per taste and requirement.
- Cook until all its water evaporates and star fruit and chilies get soft. Keep the flame accordingly.
- Turn off the heat and let the pickle cool completely.
- Transfer it into a clean and dry glass container.
- It stays fresh for up to 4-5 weeks if stored in refrigerator.
- Avoid using green star fruits.
- Always choose uniform, large , clean and yellow-orange fruits and avoid those with spots, cuts and bruise.
- Quantity of green chilies can be reduced or increased as per personal liking.