Haldi ki sabzi or Turmeric curry is a traditional Rajasthani winter special recipe,which is authentically prepared in desi ghee. It is prepared using raw turmeric or kachchi haldi , which is easily available during winter season. Raw turmeric/ kachchi haldi is a yellow ginger like vegetable which has a peppery, slightly bitter flavour. It is loaded with many nutrients and has wide range of health benefits. Therefore it has long been used to treat a wide verity of health problems. Being hot in tendency, it is been considered great to cure cold and joint pains that occurs during winter season.
This is a special winter recipe which is prepare in large quantity and then shared with friends and relatives . In Rajasthan during winter season, this dish is also served in parties and marriages.
There are many ways to prepare haldi ki sabzi and today I am sharing a recipe which is really delicious and is equally loved by both kids and elders. I am preparing this dish using, grated turmeric, desi ghee, cauliflower, peas and other ingredients. I have used 600 gms of desi ghee for this recipe, but you can easily use 450-500 gms instead. It stays fresh for weeks in refrigerator if stored in a covered container. It is served as a side dish in main meals. Simply take a required quantity, reheat it and it is ready to consume.
I am sure you are gonna love this recipe, so go ahead and lets see its Ingredients and procedure.
- Raw Turmeric (Kachchi Haldi) – 1/2 kg / 500 gms (grated)
- Desi Ghee – 600 gms (can be reduced to 500 gm)
- Onions (finely chopped) – 300 gms / 2 cups
- Cauliflower (Phool Gobhi) – 300 gms / 1.5 cups (finely chopped / grated)
- Peas ( Matar) – 300 gms / 1.5 cups (pealed)
- Green Chilies (Hari Mirch) – 120 gms / 2/3 cups ( finely chopped)
- Desi Red Tomatoes – 200 gms / 1 cup (finely chopped)
- Whole Garlic (more then half handful) – 1/3 cup crushed
- Hung Curd ( slightly sour) – 400 gms / 2 cups
- Red Chili Powder – 2 tbsp
- Coriander Powder – 4 tsp
- Coriander Chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Finely chop all the vegetables ( onions, green chilies, tomatoes, cauliflower) separately , except peas and keep aside.
- Wash , peel and grate Turmeric. Squeeze and collect its juice .
- Now, add hung curd, red chili powder and coriander powder in the turmeric juice and mix well. Keep it aside.
- Take a heavy bottom, broad kadhai , and heat ghee till warm.
- Add onions and cook on high flame till they turn soft.
- Add cauliflower and cook for about a minute or two.
- Now add peas in it, give a mix, cover the kadhai and cook on medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. Steer once or twice in between.
- Open the lid, add chopped green chilies and salt, mix once again and place back the lid. Cook for about a minute.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook till tomatoes turn soft.
- Add squeezed turmeric and cook for another 4-5 minutes at medium to high flame. Keep steering in between.
- Add curd mixture , and cook while steering occasionally.
- When the moisture is about to dry, at the last add crushed garlic and cook till all the water evaporates. Keep the flame accordingly.
- Finally sprinkle chopped coriander and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot sabzi with hot chapati.
- Once completely cooled transfer it into a closed container and refrigerate . It stays fresh for weeks.
- Quantity of Desi Ghee can be easily reduced to 450-500 gms.