Aam Panna or mango panna is a tasty and healthy beverage which helps fight against the intense Indian summer heat. This Indian drink is renowned for its heat-resistant properties. Aam Panna is made from raw mango or keri and is mostly yellowish green in colour. To prepare aam panna raw mangoes are boiled with spice. It has slightly tangy taste of raw mangoes and great flavors of various spices used. Main ingredients required to prepare aam panna are- raw mango / keri, sugar, mint leaves, black salt and roasted cumin seeds. Therefore you can also call it “Raw Mango and Mint Drink”.
As this delicious summer beverage is prepared with raw mangoes it contains all the nutrients of it. There are many health benefits of consuming this healthy summery drink raw mango juice, Aam ka Panna. It is considered beneficial in the treatment of gastrointestinal disorder. Also it is a very good source of vitamin B1 and B2, niacin and vitamin C.
Aam Panna or keri ka paani, quenches thirst during summer and prevents excessive loss of body salts due to excessive sweating. Aam panna is mainly consumed in north India as summers are very harsh there and you need something to cool your body. Raw mangoes are considered perfect to protect us from heat-strokes. So, it preferred to prepare this drink ahead of time and store it in refrigerator. So that, whenever you come home from heat, you can have a glass of refreshing aam panna ready to consume.
Making aam pana is a little tedious and time consuming job, as raw mangos have to be boiled, then they have to be cooled, then grinded and lastly strained. So it is not always possible to prepare fresh aam pana every time you require.
To solve this problem, here is a recipe to prepare aam panna concentrate. Prepare aam ka panna concentrate, store it in the refrigerator and make any number of glasses, whenever required in no time. This aam ka panna concentrate easily stays fresh for around 10 days or more when stored in a glass or plastic container in a refrigerator.
Whenever you come from sun exposer, quickly take the prepared aam ka panna from the refrigerator and make it by mixing the required amount in cold water. Whenever kids come from school or go out to play serve this healthy drink, it will safeguard them from heatstroke, stomach ache, vomiting, loose motion and other side effect of loo.
So let’s quickly see how to prepare Aam ka Panna Concentrate….
- Raw Mango (Keri) – 500 gms
- Sugar – 550 gms / 2.5 cups
- Fresh Mint Leaves (Pudhina Patti) – 1 cup
- Black salt (Kala Namak) – 4 tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder (Bhuna Zeera Powder) – 3 tsp
- Water – 4 cups
- Wash, peel and cut raw mangoes into small pieces (discard seed).
- In a pot add water, keri pieces, sugar and cook this mixture until it comes to a boil and sugar dissolves.
- Keep stirring to avoid sugar to stick at the bottom of the pot.
- Once it comes to a boil, cover the pot and reduce the heat to low.
- Let the mixture cook for around 8-10 minutes or until keri gets soft.
- After 10 minutes, we will see that the keries have turn soft and translucent.
- Add black salt, cumin powder and roughly chopped mint leaves into it.
- Give a last boil and turn off the heat.
- Cover the pot and leave it covered for 10 minutes, so that the spices flavors steep into the pana mixture.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid and let the mixture cool completely.
- Once the mixture comes to room temperature, grind the raw mangoes (using some of the sugar syrup) into smooth paste.
- Add the paste into the remaining sugar syrup and mix well.
- Now take another pot and place a juice strainer over it.
- Strain the paste through it.
- Aam pana concentrate is ready, transfer it in a glass or plastic container and store in refrigerator.
- Aam pana should always be stored once it is completely cool.
- Whenever you want to have it or serve it, take the required amount, add ice cubes and water to it and mix well.
- Healthy and refreshing summer drink is ready to be served in no time.