Dahi vada recipe – video / dahi bhalla recipe with step by step process, important tips and precise video – today we are going to make north India’s most loved street food recipe that is dahi vada. These dahi vadas are so soft and light, that they just melt in the mouth.
In dahi vada, vadas are fried and then soaked in water for some time. In this recipe I am going to show you urad dal vadas with mild flavor of hing.
Urad dal makes these vadas really soft and light. For serving always use homemade fresh, thick and creamy curd and garnish it with sweet tamarind chutney and green coriander chutney.
I have already shared the recipe of how to make thick and creamy curd at home, sweet tamarind chutney recipe and green coriander and mint chutney recipes. You can check these recipes to get the perfect north Indian flavours.
Dahi vada are prepared almost on all the festivals like Holi, Diwali, Navratras or during fasts. These dumplings can be served as a starter and can be a showstopper of any party.
For more such similar easy to make party snacks recipe on my blog:
Share and spread My Flavours tasty and easy to cook homemade recipes with your friends!!
Do not forget to SUBSCRIBE myflavours youtube channel and website – ‘www.myflavours.in’ (it’s free!!) to watch all the recipes first….
For full recipe video with all the ingredients, measurements and instructions, please click below –
(Makes about 38 – 40 vadas)
- Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Roasted Cumin Powder (optional) – ¼ tsp
- Hing (Asafetida) – ¼ tsp
Other ingredients for serving:
- Curd – 500 lts
- Sugar – 1.5 tsp
- Red chili Powder
- Red Salt
- Roasted Cumin Powder
- Sweet Tamarind Chutney
- Green Coriander & Mint Chutney
- Wash and soak urad dal for 2-3 hours. Drain and grind dal in a wet grinder. You can add ½ cup to ¾ cup of water in intervals while grinding, to get a smooth paste.
- Take the grounded dal paste in a bowl and add cumin powder, hing and salt and mix well.
- Stir the batter briskly for about 5 minutes. This will make the batter very light, airy and fluffy.
- For frying the vadas, heat oil in a kadai at medium heat.
- Take a small bowl and fill it with water, dip your fingers in it and take a small portion of dal batter, shape it into round ball and carefully drop it in medium hot oil.
- When the vadas get golden from the base, flip them and fry the vadas till they become golden and crisp.
- Take another vessel and fill it half with water. The vessel should be big enough to hold all the vadas.
- Drop the fried vadas into this water.
- Same way beat the better for few seconds every time, before you drop the vada into oil and then transfer the fried vadas into water.
- Let the vadas soak for at least 10 to 15 minutes.
- Take each vada and gently press between your palms to remove excess water.
For serving dahi vada:
- Add sugar into curd and whisk until it gets smooth and sugar dissolves.
- Place the vadas in the serving plate or bowl. Pour yogurt over the vadas, sprinkle red chili powder, red salt and cumin powder as required. Top with green chutney and tamarind chutney.
- If you find my recipe helpful, please take a moment and RATE it, SHARE the recipe and do not forget to leave your valuable comment in the comment section below, it really motivates me to make more such easy cooking and baking videos for you….